No other essential oil company does what Young Living Essential Oils does to produce the highest quality essential oils. Our whole Seed-to-Seal process begins by selecting and growing from quality non-GMO seeds, planting in rich soil and in climates that the botanicals will thrive in, carefully harvesting the plants at just the right time once they’ve grown, distilling using low temps and low pressure, subjecting every batch of oil to multiple in-house tests, and submitting to third-party sources for testing also… all of which allows us to formulate, package, and market pure, genuine therapeutic-grade essential oils.
Young Living Essential Oils- World’s LARGEST Herb Farms
Young Living owns the world’s largest herb farms and is the world leader in the cultivation and distillation of essential oils. With many farms and distilleries (on five continents) our 10 farms and 10 distilleries (as of Aug. 2015) and our association with many partners in wildcrafting and distilling worldwide makes Young Living unique in the world of essential oils. We’re constantly adding more and more farms as we expand into the global market. Our Farms are one HUGE way Young Living Essential Oils stays head and shoulders above the competition. We set the standard every one else is trying to reach.
Partner Farms, Co-op Farms, and Oils from Other Qualified Vendors
Young Living not only owns many of our own farms but we also partner with a few, select partner farms and co-op farms, who are willing to commit to Young Living’s extraordinary standards, the highest in the industry and which they have come to be known for. Partner farms and essential oil distillation facilities are required by Young Living to be subject to site inspection.
Young Living requires ALL distillers wanting to sell their oils to Young Living to submit samples to be analyzed in our state-of-the-art facilities, to ensure that the oil meets our stringent standards, and that all the constituents that make the oil therapeutic-grade are present at the right percentage. You can have a pure oil, but if the plant is distilled at the wrong time of day or with incorrect distillation procedures, the constituents that make the oils therapeutic will not be there, and you will not have a therapeutic-grade profile. Of oil samples submitted between May 2007 and October 2011 by distillers wanting to partner with Young Living, over 34% were rejected because they did not meet our stringent standards and were rejected. No matter the source of the oils, we rigorously and thoroughly test the essential oils provided by all.
YLEO – Respected worldwide for it’s integrity and commitment to quality!
You know a company is doing something right when the Sultan of Oman donates 400,000 acres to Young Living as well as offering EXCLUSIVE rights to it’s trees and aromatic plants. The Peruvian government also thought this was a good idea and granted them 12,000 free acres also. Only when you have integrity, and respect for the land does this happen.
Did You Know?
- Strict guidelines are followed for cultivating, harvesting and distilling each plant in order to optimize the available chemical constituents in the resulting essential oil. Plant material is harvested at the optimum time, distilled without solvents or chemicals for a precise amount of time, at a precise amount of pressure (low temps and low pressure) which are set SPECIFICALLY for each and every plant.
- Most essential oil companies distill their plants for the same amount of time, using high temps and high pressure, and will use chemicals during distillation to increase the yield in low yield plants. For instance, most commercially produced Cypress oil is distilled for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Young Living found that in order to get ALL of the chemical constituents out of it you must distill Cypress for 24 hours- as 18 of the constituents are only released during the last 20 minutes of that time period.
- Plants are distilled in small batches, for extended lengths of time.
- Young Living essential oils only touch stainless steel or glass during the distillation process.
- Young Living uses specially designed and built cone-shaped, vertical distillers. The only ones in North America.
- Young Living farms on land that has not been polluted with herbicides, pesticides, and chemicals for at least 50 years. USDA Certified Organic standards only require 3 years.
- When looking for and choosing sites for our farms Gary Young has made a point of finding virgin land, untouched by man’s chemicals, far from highways, factories and such, using mountain/local sources of streams as opposed to city water & are even fed/mulched with leftover plant material from the distillation process.
- Every Young Living farm has an organic composting yard. Plant matter from the distillation go in, no waste! 5 million tons of compost used annually on YL fields!
- Gary Young injects microbes & enzymes into soil, also liquid from worm castings for fertilizer.
- No chemical weed killers are ever used.
- Seed Sourcing- not from hybrids, no GMO seeds, and are hand picked from the healthiest looking plants each year.
- Young Living fields are not touched with anything chemical. Much more expensive but the only real way to have organic essential oils! “All fields are sprayed with natural herbicides. I want to keep our oils ORGANIC!” -Gary Young
- Oils that don’t meet our quality standards are rejected and returned to the supplier.
- Gary Young injects microbes & enzymes into soil, also liquid from worm castings for fertilizer.
- Aromatic plants need a ph balance of 7-7.8! Who knew?! Gary Young did!
- Young Living was founded by Gary Young who is well known as an essential oil expert with a trained nose who can analyze oils by their smell. (There are less than 200 people in the world with noses sufficiently trained to discern the chemistry of a fragrance.) Gary has invested 33 years in the research and development of essential oils.
- We produce therapeutic grade essential oils, some of which that have been UNIVERSITY TESTED in scientific studies!
- Gary Young has published 17 research papers and 9 books on the application and therapeutic benefits of essential oils and herbs!
- Gary has been told by French essential oil experts that YL has the finest Lavender in the world!
- Young Living field workers are not allowed to go in the field if they are angry or use foul language.
- Extensive laboratory testing and independent audits are conducted to ensure Young Living’s quality exceeds industry standards. Those with even the slightest hint of possible impurity are rejected. Young Living conducts multiple tests on each and every incoming batch of their oils:
- Gas Chromatography
- Heavy metals analysis
- Flash Point
- Optical Rotation
- Refractive Index
- and Specific Gravity.
- Partner farms and other distillation facilities subject to on site inspection
- Oils that exhibit even the slightest hint of possible tampering or adulteration- even if provided from a trusted supplier-are sent to outside laboratories for even more in-depth dissection using techniques such as carbon isotope analysis. Furthermore, Young Living regulates quality throughout the process with their Seed to Seal policy.
- Young Living works with 7 independent labs around the world to determine the properties and purity of Young Living essential oils.
- Has one of the largest libraries of references for essential oil analyses, with over one million references to identify compound structures
YOUNG LIVING FARMS
By cultivating, harvesting, and distilling many of our essential oils on our very own farms, we have the unique ability to verify perfection at every step of our process. Combine this with our state-of-the-art testing facilities, extensive laboratory testing and independent audits, and it’s no wonder that we routinely exceed our own industry-leading quality standards. However, our commitment to quality doesn’t stop there. Inspired by the fields, forests, and jungles that surround our pristine farms, Gary Young is constantly discovering new botanicals and essential oils, helping us bring more of nature’s greatest gifts to people everywhere. Everyone is invited to come to our farms and participate in our whole Seed-to-Seal process.
Whispering Springs Farm, Mona, Utah, U.S. – The farm is home to the largest privately owned essential oil distillery in the world and features nearly 1,600 acres of fragrant herbs and is open to visitors year round. Lavender, german chamomile, hyssop, clary sage, goldenrod, peppermint, juniper, spearmint 1989 and others are grown and distilled here.
St. Maries Farm Idaho, U.S. – Pure soil and a pristine natural setting surrounded by evergreen forest make St. Maries an ideal location for cultivating and harvesting lavender, lavindin, melissa, tansy, balsam fir, tansy, scotch pine, austrian pine, blue spruce, douglas fir, western red cedar, and white fir. Open to distributors for the summer lavender harvest and the winter balsam harvest. Open to the public for distillery tours. Call 208-245-2745.
Previous to Young Living’s 1992 purchase of the land for the St. Maries farm, this area had never been exposed to chemicals, pesticides, and manmade fertilizers. This pristine condition makes the 200 acres of soil perfect for the cultivation of botanicals such as melissa, lavender, and tansy. Our Visitors Center is open to the public for distillery tours. For more information and directions, please call 1-208-245-2745.
Highland Flats Tree Farm Idaho, U.S. – Growing acres of balsam fir, pine, Western red cedar, and other species renowned for their beneficial properties, our Highland Flats farm is nestled in the rural hamlet of Naples, Idaho. Open to distributors for the winter harvest and the spring reforestation project. *Scotch Pine, Austrian Pine, Blue Spruce, Douglas Fir, Western Red Cedar, White Fir, Grand Fir, Ponderosa Pine, Balsam Fir
Finca Botanica Aromatica Guayaquil, Ecuador – Since 2005, the Ecuador farm has cultivated and distilled everything from eucalyptus blue to lemongrass to palo santo, Finca Botanica Aromatica boasts 2,000 acres of fertile ground and a state-of-the-art distillery, one of the largest in South America. Open to the public for the Annual Amazon Adventure, which features jungle hikes, essential oils training, farm and distillery tours, and more. *Amazonian Ylang Ylang, dorado azul, blue eucalyptus, ruta, lemongrass, ocotea, vetiver, rosemary, basil, Plectranthus Oregano, mastrante, geranium, palo santo, ishpingo, rosamorta, cardamon, hyssop, thyme and other unique botanicals are grown and distilled here.
Simiane-la-Rotonde Farm Simiane, France – Young Living’s Simiane-la-Rotonde farm is located in Provence, a region of France renowned for its beauty, fragrant lavender fields, and summer-long festivals. Young Living takes advantage of this fertile land to grow clary sage, lavender, and einkorn wheat. Located in rolling hills of Provence amid fragrant fields of herbs, our Simiane-la-Rotonde Farm produces. *lavender, lavandin, clary sage, rosemary, helichrysum.
Salalah Farm Salalah, Oman – Since 2010, Young Living has partnered with local Omani harvesters to obtain and secure our supply of Boswellia sacra, aka Sacred Frankincense resin. Now, for the first time in centuries, this precious oil is being distilled in Oman, and Young Living is the first and ONLY company in the world to obtain permission from the Omani government and legally export it to the Western world. Young Living also has Commipihora myrrha, the botanical used to distill myrrh, another prized biblical oil, at the Oman farm.
Northern Lights Farm, British Columbia, Canada– In 2014, ground was broke on the next Young Living farm which will help us be able to have ample supply of the highly valued Black spruce, needed for our exclusive and very popular blend called VALOR.
*black spruce, ledum, and yarrow.
Sitno Donje, Šibensko-Kninska, Croatia (April 11th 2015)- Helichrysum and Laurus nobilis, sage
Cooperative (Partnerships) Farms
Israel– Guy Erlich, the owner of the Balm of Gilead Farm in Israel, usually starts 4,000-5,000 new cuttings every summer. Commiphora gileadensis (Balm of Gilead) trees and Frankincense trees are rooted during the hot summer months. The Young Living Israel Farm is located just a 25 minute-drive down (elevation change from +2300ft to -800ft) Highway 1 from Jerusalem is in a prime location for tourist or Young Living members wanting to visit the farm.
Taiwan– Young Living has 3 exclusive oils from Taiwan: Xiang Mao, Hong Kuai and Jade Lemon
Australia – Lemon myrtle, blue cypress, eucalyptus dives, polybractea, staigeriana and radiata, Manuka, melaleuca (all variaties), and Sandalwood
Somalia– Frankincense cartari
Kenya– Frankincense cartier
Japan– Yuzu, hinoki
Spain– Cistus, cypress, helichrysum, rosemary, sage
New farms in the works!
Iquitos, Peru- *Rosewood
We are constantly looking for more organic sources that meet our stringent demands which means either purchasing our own land or partnering with others who are willing to operate under the same strict standards set by Young Living’s SEED-to-SEAL process. (Scroll up the page and click on the SEED-TO-SEAL icon on right side of this page to view video explaining the whole process.)
THE FOUR P’s
The result of our passion is Young Living Therapeutic Grade, a promise that every essential oil we sell has the optimal amount of naturally beneficial constituents. Our strict cultivation process—illustrated by the Four P’s—guarantees that our products offer unsurpassed safety and efficacy.
Years of experience have taught us how to select the ideal botanicals for desired oil potency, plant under optimal conditions, use prime soil and natural methods to encourage growth, and know the precise time to harvest each crop.
Using a gentle, proprietary technique for steam-extracting the most potent essential oils, our distillation process ensures we meet our own, industry leading Therapeutic Grade distillation standards.
Inside our state-of-the-art testing facilities, every batch of essential oils is subjected to rigorous analysis. Those with even the slightest hint of possible impurity are rejected.
This unerring focus on quality ensures that the naturally occurring compounds contained in each of our products are of the highest and most consistent bioactive levels.
No matter what time of year you visit the Young Living farm, you will get an inside look at some phase of our planting and distilling operations. In the spring you will see the starts being planted and the fields being cultivated. In the summer and fall you will not only view vast organic fields of lavender, peppermint, clary sage, and other herbs, but you will also witness acres and acres of herbs being harvested by Young Living’s custom-engineering cultivation equipment and distilled in Young Living’s specially-designed stainless steel distilling chambers.
Gary Young On Distillation
Click here to read even more ways Young Living is unique and Twelve Questions to ask an Essential Oil Company.