Everyone experiences occasional sleep issues every now and then resulting from all kinds of things… like stress at work, inability to turn your mind off which can stem from all types of things like anger, worry, or even excitement. Have you ever had a trip or vacation planned and found it difficult to fall asleep because you were so excited? If you have then you know what I’m talking about. Sometimes we’re our own worst enemy and do things that aggravate the situation. Fortunately there are some tactics which you can try incorporating including the use of essential oils, that may help you relax and unwind after a busy, hectic or stressful day. Give these tips a try and see if you find them helpful.
- Avoid caffeine and heavy meals AT LEAST 4 hours before going to bed.
- Get off the computer (this includes electronic games) at least an hour before going to bed… it allows the mind a chance to relax and unwind!
- Avoid exercising at night before going to bed… avoid at least 2-3 hours before bedtime.
- Make your room as dark as possible… yes this includes night lights, and alarm clock lights. If possible, try putting alarm clock light on a dim setting.
- Keep all electronics… this includes cell phones, clocks, radios, etc. at least 3-4 feet away from your head.
- Take a hot EPSOM salt bath and add your favorite relaxing essential oils to salt BEFORE adding to water… helps to disperse the oils and keep them from floating on the top. EPSOM salt baths are widely known to be relaxing and helpful when trying to unwind.
- Rock in rocking chair for 5-10 minutes before bed.
A List of Various Oils and Supplements Used to Relax & Unwind
Depending on the oil, there are various ways to use them… aromatically, topically and even *ingesting. If applying applying topically… try applying to various areas like the shoulders, wrists, temples, around the navel, back of neck, bottoms of feet, and big toes. Inhaling of essential oils is the most effective ways to help one relax and unwind. Try different oils and the various ways of using them until you find something that resonates with you!
NOTE: Young Living’s therapeutic grade essential oils are pure enough to be used internally and they are the ONLY oils I would EVER consider taking internally because of their purity. Check the label on the bottle or the EODR (Essential Oil Desk Reference) for specific guidelines.
- Citrus Fresh
- Clary Sage
- Copaiba (enhancer of other oils)
- Harmony (apply to chakras or over solar plexus)
- Lavender (also Lavender lotion)
- Ocotea (2 drops under tongue before bed)
- Peace & Calming (blend)
- Roman Chamomile
- RutaVala- (a blend of Rue, Valerian & Lavender)
- Stress Away (blend)
- Tranquil Roll-On- (blend)
- Valor- (blend) (apply to bottoms of feet, along inside arch)
- White Angelica
- Ylang Ylang
- Sleep Essence– softgel vegetarian capsule for easy ingestion. combining lavender, vetiver, valerian (a well-known sleep aid), and Ruta graveolens essential oils with the hormone melatonin.
- Progessence Plus
- Super B
Please keep in mind that what works for one may not work for another as each of us are unique in our makeup and everyone responds to the oils in their own way. So I would encourage you to give our products a try and discover your favorite oils to help you relax and unwind, supporting your efforts for a restful night’s sleep, allowing you to wake up refreshed and ready for the day.