All essential oils are NOT created equal!
The IMPORTANCE of using pure, GENUINE therapeutic-grade, unadulterated essential oils cannot be stressed enough. Young Living essential oils are NOT your average, run of the mill “scents” you will find at your local grocery, drug, health food store, or even apothecary shops. You can’t expect to use those and get the same results!
Most of the essential oils in the US are not true, pure, GENUINE therapeutic-grade essential oils. The plants the oils are produced from are not grown, harvested under optimal conditions, nor their oils distilled in such a way as to protect their many delicate, beneficial properties. Just because an oil says 100% pure on the label doesn’t mean it is a GENUINE therapeutic-grade essential oil and that it will contain all the many chemical compounds that are unique to each oil and preserve their many valuable properties! It also means that the plants must remain cut and in the field for a set amount of time to maximize oil content? Unfortunately most of the oils on the market today are over-processed using high pressure and high temps, are chemical-laden, highly adulterated and denatured products. The process that most manufacturers follow are for the perfume industry, and their resulting oils in reality are considered little more than cheap perfume. I’ve heard that manufacturers are only required to have 5% of the active ingredient, the actual oil, in the bottle to call it pure. Does that sound like PURE to you?
When selecting essential oils that are pure, GENUINE therapeutic-grade, it’s crucial to know how the plant material was grown, cultivated, harvested and the distilling process used. Each plant must be distilled for a precise amount of time, at a precise amount of pressure (low temps and low pressure) set specifically for that plant in order to preserve the delicate properties of each essential oil. Most of the oils sold in the U.S. by other distillers are NOT first distillation.
The first distillation when done properly means the resulting essential oil will contain all of these delicate, beneficial properties. Second though 6th distillations are much lower in price because the distillers distill multiple times at high temperature and high pressure which destroys most of the beneficial chemical compounds. You get what you pay for! If you want consistent, reliable results then you should purchase pure, GENUINE therapeutic-grade essential oils made from plants that were grown on pristine land without the use of harmful chemicals or pesticides, harvested at optimum time, properly distilled, in the proper manner and at just the right time.
An excerpt are from Holistic Aromatherapy, A. Berwick, 1994, Llewellyn Pub., St. Paul, MN pp. 168.
“Many of the oils on the market are of poor quality.”
“LOW PRICES MAY ALSO MEAN THE OIL IS A SECOND OR THIRD DISTILLATION OF THE PLANT MATERIAL, in which case it will have far less therapeutic value. Sometimes oils are diluted with another plant that has a similar aroma, but costs less…”
As you can see, it is a very complicated, expensive process and is truly as much an art as it is a science. Most essential oil manufacturers are not willing to spend the time and effort it takes to produce high quality essential oils. Young Living is proud to set the standard for GENUINE therapeutic-grade essential oil purity and authenticity by carefully monitoring the production of our oils through our unique Seed to Seal® process. From the time the seed is sourced until the oil is sealed in the bottle, we apply the most rigorous quality controls possible to ensure that you are receiving essential oils exactly the way nature intended.
It’s reported that Gary Young is able to smell the % of constituents in the oil and tell if the oil someone is trying to sell him is distilled properly. Much like some wine producers can smell a wine and tell you all about the wine before ever tasting it. It comes from being an expert in your field.
There are a lot of “extras” that Young Living does that makes YL oils much more POTENT. Many of the companies out there selling essential oils don’t have their own farms and don’t control the whole process from SEED to SEAL. They rely on the honesty of the people they are buying oils from and are not directly involved in the growing process.
OTHER ESSENTIAL OIL BRANDS
• Contain only a small fraction of “PURE” oil. Legally companies are only required to include 5% oil to be called “pure”; the other 95% of product often is UNKNOWN
• Quality and source of oil used is unknown, therefore the grade is UNKNOWN
• The companies selling the oils play no part in growth of plants
• Label indicates EXTERNAL USE ONLY; or DO NOT INGEST (these statements are an indicator of adulteration)
YOUNG LIVING ESSENTIAL OILS
• Guaranteed to be truly 100% pure, genuine (NOT diluted with chemicals or additives)
• Soil quality guaranteed for up to 50 years prior
• Many oils able to be used INTERNALLY and are labeled as a “SUPPLEMENT” showing Serving Size, %DV & Servings per container
• Young Living essential oils are grown, harvested, processed & distilled at the proper times/conditions to MAXIMIZE the chemical compounds or components of the plant material for each oil they produce. Young Living practices quality control from “Seed to Seal”- growth, cultivation, distillation & inspection.
Here are a few facts about Young Living:
- Gary informed 2014 convention-goers that Young Living is the world’s largest grower/distiller/producer of Melissa
- Gary has invested 33 years in the research and development of essential oils
- Gary has been told by French essential oil experts that YL has the finest Lavender in the world!!
- During 2013 Young Living convention, reportedly (I was not there for that convention) there was a slide showing a document from the FDA saying that Gary Young is the foremost expert on essential oils and distillation in the WORLD!!!!!!!
- Young Living has the world’s largest herb farms for the production of essential oils. Our 12 farms and 12 distilleries around the globe (as of Aug. 2015) and association with many partners in wildcrafting and distilling worldwide makes Young Living unique in the world of essential oils. We’re constantly adding more and more farms as we expand into the global market.
- Largest Lavender farm is in France belongs to YL-1000 acres.
- Young Living has the largest acreage producing Lavender in the whole world.
- Young Living is the #1 producer of Ylang Ylang in the world.
- Our fields are not touched with anything chemical. Much more expensive but the only real way to have organic!
- Organic Compost is used on all YL Farms for soil enhancement. Every Young Living farm has a composting yard. Plant matter from the distillation go in, no waste!
- 5 million tons of compost used annually on YL fields!
- Gary Young injects microbes & enzymes into soil, also liquid from worm castings for fertilizer
- Young Living works with 7 other labs around the world to determine the properties and purity of Young Living essential oils.
- Extensive laboratory testing and independent audits are conducted to ensure Young Living’s quality exceeds industry standards. Those with even the slightest hint of possible impurity are rejected.
- Oils that exhibit even the slightest hint of possible tampering or adulteration- even if provided from a trusted supplier are sent to outside laboratories for even more in-depth dissection using techniques such as carbon isotope analysis.
- No chemicals are used on the YL Farms! We use a special spray created by Gary containing oils!
- Marcel Espieu, the former president of the Lavender Grower’s Association in France for 20 years, at first laughed at “this American” who thought he could duplicate what generations of French lavender growers had in their blood. Marcel paid Gary the greatest compliment of his career when he spoke at the Young Living Convention in 2002 and said to the thousands of people attending, “The student has now become the teacher, and the teacher is now the student.”
NOTE: many of Young Living’s essential oils are Kosher-Certified, meaning that the product is fit to use in any application in a manner that conforms to the kosher laws rooted in Biblical and Rabbinic traditions. These products and the facilities that produce them have been inspected and found to meet strict kosher requirements.
#HSO4U, young living essential oils, buyer beware, adulterated oils